Tuesday, March 31, 2009

PICU - Our home away from home!

Amazingly enough, we're back at our home away from home again! After vomiting all night last night, Olivia was just not herself today. She was cranky and tired, very unusual for our happy little girl. Her fontanel was bulgy and, on and off, was pretty firm. She was also very vainey. I finally decided, against the doctors wishes, to bring her in to the ER. As usual, her breathing has worsened since we've been here, and they are thinking it's possibly pneumonia again. If tonight's blood count and CBC look good along with tomorrow morning's x-ray, then they will go ahead with the monitoring tomorrow. The plan for the pressure monitoring is to take her to the OR. If the pressure is high right off the bat then they will just put the shunt in while she's out. If not, they'll monitor the pressure for at least 24 hours before making a decision regarding the shunt. If this is pneumonia again, then that will have to be put off until she is doing better. She is certainly following the same pattern as the last two times we've been here with pneumonia, so it wouldn't be the least bit surprising if that's what it is again. I feel so bad for her because she is clearly absolutely miserable! At this point all we can do is wait and see what the tests tell us. I will try to keep everyone posted as we get new information. Thanks for keeping up with us all this time! It has certainly been a long road for little Miss Olivia! Hopefully we can get some answers soon!

I have been doing my best to keep up with all of your blogs. I haven't had the time to comment on all of them, as Miss Olivia is keeping me rather busy. I want you to know though that I have been reading them as I get a chance.

No comments: