Saturday, February 7, 2009

Hip Hip Hooray!

Olivia is One today!

My Dear Sweet Olivia,

Today we celebrate your First Birthday, and I am reminded that just one year ago your Daddy and I were so scared we would never be able to do this! Very unexpectedly, you came so early. Your tiny body was not yet prepared to live outside of my body. You were so tiny, so fragile! Very quickly though, your daddy and I learned just how strong you are! You fought so hard to get to where you are today!

You began your life at Fort Hospital, where the doctors and nurses had to get you out as quickly and safely as possible. The doctors and nurses there worked so hard to take good care of you. Your only weighed two pounds, four ounces. There was even a special doctor who lived near the hospital who came in to help care for you. I hope that we will always remember what they did for you and I in the early morning hours when you were born.

Within hours of your birth the doctor and nurses from St. Mary’s Hospital came to pick you up and take you to the special nursery called the NICU. It wasn’t until they were leaving with you that I finally got to see you! Then the next day I got to go to St. Mary’s so I could be near you. As soon as we got to the hospital, Grandma took me up to see you. You were so tiny, fragile, bruised, and hooked up to so many machines. I was so scared for you! If I could have taken your place, I would have in a second! You showed us just how strong you were as you improved little by little each day! After one week, I finally got to snuggle with you! It was one of the happiest moments of my life! With that one snuggle, I knew everything was going to be just fine. There were many doctors, nurses, and respiratory therapists who took such good care of you at St. Mary’s. They loved you and snuggled with you when Daddy and I couldn’t be there! I hope that as you grow we can continue to remember all they did for you in the four months you spent there.

When you were four months old, you were transferred to the American Family Children’s Hospital. The doctors, nurses, therapists, and volunteers took good care of you and challenged you. I was finally able to spend the night with you. After just three weeks, the doctors decided you were ready to come home with Daddy and I.

The day you came home was another of the happiest times of my life! Finally, we would be able to snuggle as much as we wanted, and you were able to meet the rest of you extended family. Although managing your medical needs was challenging at times, I wouldn’t have traded it for anything! At home we were able to watch you grow, learn new tricks, and get better each day.

I have loved watching your personality grow. You are truly an amazing little girl! You are our miracle! I hope you never lose the strength and strong will you have already shown us. I hope you remain as happy as you are today! I hope you always remember how proud your Daddy and I are to be the parents of such a strong, happy, and amazing little girl!

All my love,


Mommy


I promise to add pictures tomorrow!

9 comments:

Mandy said...

Happy Birthday Olivia!
What a great letter.

Tonya said...

What a beautiful letter!! Happy Birthday Olivia!! I hope you have a great time today!!

Jaime said...

Happy Birthday Olivia! We hope that you have a wonderful day! What a beautiful letter your mommy wrote!

Unknown said...

What an amazing story! Happy Birthday Olivia!

Caden and Mommy said...

Olivia! You are one strong girl!!! Happy First Birthday!
Love Caden & Trisha!

Matt, Cassidy, Parker and New Baby said...

Happy Birthday Olivia! That is a very touching letter, she is very lucky to have such a wonderful Mommy.

Greene Family said...

Happy 1st Birthday Olivia!! That is a beautiful letter and an amazing story!

Destini said...

Happy Birthday Olivia! What a wonderful letter!

Kim said...

What a beautiful letter to your beautiful daughter. May happiness shine upon Olivia and I cannot wait to see what's in store this year!