Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Tube Change Successful!

The tube change was successful. Olivia didn’t like it, to say the least! It was one of those where you heard it come out, and then it was a second or two before she let out a blood-curdling scream. Not fun! I have to say the new one is much nicer though! After they changed it, we had to go to x-ray to have the placement checked to be sure it was in correctly. By that time Joe and I were really hungry and Olivia was really tired! We went to the cafeteria to eat while Olivia chilled out napping in the stroller. Check out the picture, it was so funny!



We got Olivia’s Medicalert bracelet (or anklet) in the mail on Saturday. We put it on her after her bath on Sunday morning. I thought she might not like it at first and it would take some time for her to get used to. Nope! She hasn’t minded it at all! You can kind of see it in this picture as she is partaking in her favorite activity - playing nude on the floor!


We have started to wean the steroid that Olivia has been on. She is on the first decreased dose, and steps down again on Friday. So far it seems to be going well. If everything keeps on the track it’s on she will get her final dose of that steroid on October 17. She is on the weaker steroid that they just started, but once she is off of this stronger one, they will begin to wean that weaker steroid also. If all works out Olivia should be off of regular doses of steroids by Christmas. She may still need stress doses of steroids when she is sick though.

Other big news - We quit using the apnea monitor! It was a little scary the first couple of nights, but we made it through. It is nice not having that extra piece of equipment to deal with. Dr Green wanted us to work on this over the next couple of months. Boy will he be proud when we see him on Friday! We still have it, and I don’t plan on letting them take it away just yet. Even though we don’t use it now, I think I may want to if she gets a bad cold or something. Like I said in a previous entry, it’s our security blanket! I don't know how well Dr. Green will like Olivia's new chew toy though.



Olivia will be going with my mom and I to talk to some first year med students on Thursday. Someone through St. Mary’s contacted me with this opportunity. I am really excited to share our story with these students who are just beginning to learn about prematurity. I’ve sure learned my share about it in the last 8 months! Olivia knows some days are just rough ones!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a sweetheart she is! Glad to hear the tube change went well. And what an awesome opportunity to be able to speak with some med students. I hope it goes well!

Caden and Mommy said...

Becky!
I am happy the tube change went as well as could be expected! It must feel good to get that out of the way! I love the pictures :0) So precious in all of that pink!
Trisha

Kim said...

I am so happy that the change was successul even though it must have been painful to hear her scream. She seems to be making such strides. I think this opportunity you have to talk to the medical students is AMAZING! First to educate and second to show off that beauty!